7.11.05

Hello world.

I manage a software QA organization. A few years ago, I was faced with a distressing but common problem – I had more work to do than I had staff, time or budget to do it.

So I outsourced the work.

I contracted with a company in India for staff augmentation, and I built a virtual team. I’ve witnessed great success and equally great failure. And I’ve talked to a lot of people about my experiences, and theirs. And I’ve become a student of the game.

When I first started this endeavor I was perpetually frustrated by the lack of reliable information or thoughtful commentary about global sourcing. The experts I found were self-serving, and the literature on the subject was either alarmist or polemic. I had to learn a lot quickly. And I ultimately learned that my instincts were good, better in fact than the advice and counsel of many alleged experts. Inside Outsource is intended to be the blog, and eventually the book I wanted to read before I started managing virtual teams.

It’s also intended to be a furtherance in my own experiential education in working with remote minds – I intend to outsource much of the research and copy editing for this book to some smart people who live very far away from New Hampshire. We'll see how far I get with that.

No comments: